Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Dictionary Problem!

I feel like I really need to bring this out or it’s going to continue to drive me crazy until I do.

I talked to my friend Jose Luis yesterday about something Jordan told me that really bothered me. Ok, when Jordan was here I gave him an Arabic dictionary (we use references based on what I learned while taking the class) anyways, he told me that his grandmother didn’t like that I gave him the dictionary. Apparently she has a problem with me learn Arabic and she thinks that I’m learning it for the wrong reasons, terrorists reasons (which I’m not) It didn’t even dawn on me until later on (in which I still had no idea about the dictionary problem until Jordan told me) On the last night I saw Jordan we ordered pizza to the hotel room, I don’t eat any pork so I was just picking off the pepperonis, ham, ect…(meat lovers pizza-enough said) well it seemed a little suspicious to me that she questioned me almost immediately, “ Sarah, do you go to church?” I told her yes and then she asked where, I told her the name of the church and then translated the name to English; but that wasn’t what she wanted to know she then asked what kind of a church it was, when I told her Christian she just dropped the subject.

Come on for those that don’t know me I don’t like when people question things like that without asking directly or stating the purpose of their questioning. To me what she did was another way of being racist, I don’t like when people are racist there’s no point to it.

Jordan: I’m sorry Jordan cause I know your going to read this and get maybe a little upset, please just don’t your grandmother about this, I pretty sure she already doesn’t like me and you pretty much acknowledged it the night you returned home.

This was really bothering me (still is) ever since you first told me but I felt like I really needed to express it now. Well, Jose didn’t know what to say on the matter except making a joke about my potential of looking like a Muslim if I were to put a head dress on. (I don’t really look Muslim- (since we must address a race for everything, I’m Hispanic people!!!) Well he did say that may she’s just trying to find reasons not to like which still wouldn’t make any sense at all. Maybe she really just doesn’t like me for some reason.

Later on I spoke to Sumo about it (no he’s not big, it’s just an inside joke that very few know about, he calls me Sumo as well-I’m “Sumo1” he’s “Sumo2”) He thought it was a bit odd for her to assume so quickly and agreed with Jose (about her maybe not liking me, not the head dress thing) Well talk for a while and it really did help me out a lot, thanks Jose and Sumo! Especially Sumo, your little comment made me feel a little better about myself and it made me laugh how I tricked you into telling me (LOL!) for future reference: tape recorder :)

To all that read this: please post your opinion (even Jordan, Sumo, and Jose Luis) Am I giving too much thought to this?

Oh well... I feel better now so I'll be signing off for now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you're overreacting. What does it matter whether my grandmother likes you? I love you and that's all that matters. Everything else is optional.

Anonymous said...

Jordan, I know you're entitled to your own opinion however I disagree with it. Ok, maybe you're a little bit right. You love her and that should be the only thing that matters but maybe she feels like she needs more.
Sarah, I personally would have been offended by that. I feel the exact same way about racism, it's not right.
As for the comment that your friend Jose said I wouldn't know, why don't you post a picture of yourself? I might even post one of my own if you do...

Anonymous said...

Just checking up on you, that's so sad the way things have been going. I think that if you really think that there may be a way to make things work, nothing else should matter but the way you feel about each other. Hang in there girl a good nerd is hard to find!

Egoist said...

Sam, jordan can't help who his grandmother is. Whether she's racist or just suspicious of terrorists, she is who she is, and the only choice jordan would have is to disown his grandmother if he didn't want to hear about it. That's not gonna happen.

Ol GranGran was being offensive, and yes, Sarah would fit right into arabic culture. SHE'S A LOVELY DESERT FLOWER!!!

Of course, I like japanese buddhist shrines meself. oops, off topic.

Don't worry about it Sarah, I'm sure things will work out. I'm sure Jordan knows what is more important. ;)

Egoist said...

Oh, and Jordan: Hi, from Jose Luis. You're one lucky guy. ;)

Just Me Sam said...

Hey Sarah and other people I don't know: I have my new blog now, it is still a work in progress but at least it is up and running for later improvements. Check it out when you get the chance, it will get better eventually. For now just writers block I guess.

Anonymous said...

@Everyone: Just to be clear(er), my grandmother isn't usually like this (that I know of). She's usually pretty nice to people. Maybe it's just the usual post-9/11 xenophobia.

@Jose: Yes, I am very lucky. And, yes, you are very off-topic and random.